Monday, October 26, 2009

Scary!

So this week I've been jumping back on the query band wagon, sending out queries to agents, publishers, etc. But can I just tell you, I've forgotten how absolutely terrifying sending out a query is? Putting yourself out there for rejection sucks. It really, really sucks.

Oh! You say you don't know what a query is? I forget that this isn't a term most people use in everyday conversations (unless you're a crazy writer, such as myself). A query is basically a letter you send out to a publisher or a literary agent, asking if they might be interested in seeing your work. Sounds fun, no? Then, based on your query letter, the agent and/or publisher decides if they want to see a partial or full manuscript. And only if after reading your partial or full they decide they like your work, they will decide to represent you (literary agents) or publish you (publishers). So, a query is the first of many steps to getting published.

So your query has to be practically perfect in every way (like Mary Poppins). It is a representation of you and your writing skills. That query letter basically holds your future.

Sound scary yet? I hope so, because then you can appreciate how I'm feeling. Most queries today are done over e-mail. They're called e-queries. So a few days ago I went through my list of agents and publishers I've gathered over the last few months and picked one to send a query to. Just one, measly little query. After I had everything typed up in the email, pasted the prologue to my book in the body of the email, triple checked the recipients name (you'll understand why I do this after I tell you my mortifying story of the first query I ever sent), and then included my contact information, I just stared at the screen. Did I really want to send this? Did I really want to put myself through this kind of rejection . . . again? I hadn't sent a query out for a few months at this point. Was it really worth it? Is seeing my blood, sweat, and tears in print really worth all this anxiety?

Yes. Yes it is! This is what I've been working towards for three years of my life. I didn't stay up until all hours of the morning writing, daydream about my characters in class, and miss out on huge social events to get this thing down on paper just to quit now. I mean, I wrote the book. That's the hardest part, right?

So, with that in mind I hit send. I still haven't heard back yet. Waiting is probably the hardest part. Waiting sucks.

But, I have to say I've learned a lot. From my first query to this one I sent a few days ago, I feel I've made truck loads of improvement. Maybe one day I'll post my query letter on here. . . . But probably not. ;)

The first query letter I ever sent was to an agent named Maya Rock at Writer's House. The thing is, as I was typing up my query on the computer I put in the name of the editor at a publishing house called Shadow Mountain (they are my dream publisher, so naturally I addressed it to them). But when I copy and pasted it into the email, I forgot to change the name from Ms. Mangum to Ms. Rock. So the very first thing Maya Rock reads from me is "Dear Ms. Mangum". Gah. I shudder just remembering.

However, she was very sweet in her rejection, never mentioning my fumble. But it was still a rejection.

Then, a few weeks later I sent a query to Mr. Josh Getzler of Writer's House. Writer's House is the big league agents. I'm talking, Stephenie Meyer agents. Josh is a junior agent (he is NOT Stephenie's agent. I'm not that crazy), so I figured he was safe to send to. Here's the rejection he sent back. See if you can identify what's wrong with it that made me really, really mad. :)


June 16, 2009

Dear Mr. Guy,

Thank you for your query regarding The Elements. (Here's my little commentary. I realize The Elements, is a really lame title, which is why it's now called The Elements: Secrets of the River.)

I’m sorry, but I am afraid that your project does not seem like one we could successfully represent at this time, but I hope you succeed in you search for appropriate, enthusiastic representation.

Best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

Josh Getzler

Junior Agent


Anybody catch it? No? I'll give you a hint. It's right after the date and just before "Thank you for your query". Do you see it now?

MR. Guy. MR! Do I look like a MR Guy to you? MR. Guy is my father, my uncles, and a few of my cousins. I am not Mr. Guy!

Grr. That made me so mad when I read it. I was almost glad he'd rejected it since apparently he's the type of agent who can't tell the difference between Aaron the boy and Erin the girl. I wouldn't want such an incompetent agent. At least, that's what I thought to cover up the hurt of my fourth rejection.

So yeah. Querying stinks. It stinks like moldy cheese left out in the sun. But, it's a necessary part of the road to getting published, along with all the rejections. I'm learning to be tough skinned. I'm also learning that The Elements: Secrets of the River, may not be my first book I get published. In fact, it probably won't. That's why I have to keep writing, keep getting my ideas into book form, and then one of them will find the right agent or publisher. I just have to keep believing and never give up.

No comments:

Giving Up

Hi all! It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. . . A long, long while actually. 8 months. Yikes! Life has been crazy. I'm in...