Saturday, November 7, 2009

Swine Flu, Lisa Mangum, more Swine Flu, and Hit'n'Runs (Oh, and more Swine Flu).

Hi friends. Well, this week of my life has been more or less pointless. I have been stuck inside the house with the dreaded swine flu. It all started Monday night when I got home from work and just started feeling weird. I was unusually tired and just wanted to curl up in bed (which is exactly what I did). But before I crawled into bed I took my temperature. Nothing too bad. It was like 100.2 or something like that. But the next morning I felt even worse and my fever was up in the 101 area. I was coughing like a chain smoker and my nose was so plugged up that I couldn't even taste food (sad day, I know). So I stayed in bed and slept another few hours until my fever made me get up. I went and sat on the couch, knitted a bit, but mostly just sat there until my parents got home at 5 and Mom made me take some aspirin. The next day I was feeling even worse and woke up at 6. That's right, 6!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even know that time of day existed. By then my temp was 102, inching towards 103. So I texted my buddy Lori and told her I was sick. She's such a dear and took care of all my work worries for the rest of the week. I owe her. She's my lifesaver. So I spent that day lying on the couch, alternating between watching TV and sleeping. Needless to say it wasn't the funnest day I've ever spent. By the time my parents got home I was bored to tears. Sitting on the couch and being sick is fun for about one day. Then it gets not so fun. When I told my mom this she asked what she could do, so I told her. "Go buy me a book to read . . . . Oh, and some chocolate." So she did. Have I ever mentioned how much I love my mommy?

The book she got me (and that I requested) was "The Hourglass Door" by Lisa Mangum. Recognize that name? She works for Shadow Mountain, my dream publisher. She's the editor I addressed my query to. I'd heard good things about her book, so I wanted to check it out. So far I like it all right. Lori really liked it, so that gives me some hope. :)

So, where was I? Oh yes. Swine Flu. Thursday I woke up and my fever had finally seemed to break a little. It was now steadily in the 99-100 area and I felt okay. But I was still coughing a lot and had to carry a box of tissues around with me. My wonderful mom took a half day off work to come be with me before ditching me later that night for Collin Raye. (Just kidding Mom! I would have ditched me for him too. His voice is so dreamy!). So, I spent that night watching Law and Order SVU online in her bed. Throughout this whole thing I think I've probably watched about ten hours of Law and Order SVU. Yeah. That's a lot of Special Victims Unit.

When I woke up this morning I am glad to say I was feeling better, though I still haven't reached the nice 98.6 temperature yet. My nose is still plugged up and my throat is sore from breathing through my mouth all the time, but I AM feeling better. I just like complaining and making other people feel sorry for me. ;)

But tonight I actually got out of the house! Yay! I went with my family out to Salt Lake to take Allison to her friend Amy's wedding reception. Don't worry. I stayed in the car and didn't lick anybody. If anybody else gets sick it's not my fault. We ate dinner at . . . Hardie's? Harry's? I can't remember. It's some place in Salt Lake where you order from your car and they bring the food to you. All I know is they serve the "Big H" burger. But while we were ordering our food, somebody backed into my car. They backed into my car! MY CAR!!!!! And then they just drove away. I was really mad, both because I was starting to think my leaving the house hadn't been a good idea based on how I was feeling, and because, well, they just backed into MY CAR!!!! Luckily it didn't damage my car, but Allison says she thought she saw a dent in the other cars bumper as they drove away to the yelling of my mom. That made me feel a little bit better.

And now, I'm sitting here at home typing up this blog post of my not so eventful, yet totally eventful week. Oh, and just for the record, we don't know if I actually have swine flu. But all the symptoms are here and I've never felt this way before. Be smart. Get a shot if you can or risk losing a week of your life to the couch and TV.

Anyway, have a good weekend. I am going to write and then go to bed. :)

1 comment:

Ryan and Michelle said...

I liked that post Erin. It had me laughing out loud a couple of times. I'm glad you didn't lick anybody either. Michelle and I were sick with food poisining (we believe) for one day. I know what you mean, watching TV all day can get boring quick, especially if there's nothing good on, which you would think shouldn't be a problem with 70 channels. Anyway I'm glad you are feeling better and that your car survived the attack.

Giving Up

Hi all! It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. . . A long, long while actually. 8 months. Yikes! Life has been crazy. I'm in...