Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Inspiration and Making of "Song for You"--an original song

Hey Everybody!

So, this is my 60th post on this blog. Woot, woot! :D This particular post has been a long time in the making. You may have read in previous posts here and there about how I love to write. Two years ago I took a songwriting class and I've been writing songs ever since. It's something I love to do because it combines my two greatest loves--music and writing! Best of both worlds.

For those of you who haven't seen my video yet, here it is!



"Song for You" was conceived two years ago while I was in my songwriting class. Those of you who know me know that I'm a fairly introverted person and I get really nervous letting other people hear me sing or listen to my songs. So when this tune and the first verse popped into my head, I was downstairs in our washroom where no one could hear me (or at least where I believed no one could hear me). It was around 11 pm. I pulled out my handheld recorder and

Fast forward two years. I recently returned from serving an 18 month mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, wondering where to go with my life. I found my old recorder and notebook where I'd hummed tunes and scribbled lyrics. When going through the songs, I rediscovered "Song for You." I decided that this was a good place to start when getting back into songwriting. So I sat down at the piano, wrote the last two verses, and got the melody on paper.

After I had the accompaniment worked out, I recorded the song. My original plan was to record a video of me singing the song live, but it just wasn't going to work. I couldn't use 2 mics to record at once when using my webcam. So in the end I recorded the piano, recorded me singing, and combined the 2. :)

Once the song was recorded I realized, "Crap! I need a video to go along with this!" So, I decided to settle for a video of me doing what I do best--silly stick-figure drawings and lip syncing. Haha. It's not the greatest, but I had determined to get this video out ASAP. I'd already put it off too long because, I'll admit it, this is really scary! Putting one of my songs out there like this. But I'm also excited to share what I love with all of you!

Thank you for reading and watching and listening! Hope you all have a fantastic week! :D

1 comment:

Ryan and Michelle said...

Nice song and a nice message. You have a beautiful voice. Thanks for providing some uplifting entertainment on You Tube!

Giving Up

Hi all! It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. . . A long, long while actually. 8 months. Yikes! Life has been crazy. I'm in...