Thursday, May 22, 2014

20+ Lessons I Learned from Serving a Mission

Hey there everyone! It's been a while hasn't it? Probably about, oh, I don't know . . . 18 months or so?

18 months. . . That's a pretty long time, isn't it? Lots of things have changed in my life, and I'm sure lots of things have changed in yours as well. For those of you who might not know, for the last 18 months I've been in Indiana serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. As a part of my missionary service I invited others to come unto Christ, served in the community, & taught the gospel of Jesus Christ. I saw SO many miracles while serving the wonderful people of Indiana!

Something that my mission President challenged me to do as I prepared to leave Indiana was to write down 20 lessons I learned from serving my mission. So when I first came home I sat down, went through my journals, & made my list. Right now I have 21 lessons & I expect the list will continue growing. My mission experience taught me SO much. I am forever changed because of my decision to serve a mission. I don't think it's even possible to put into words the change I've undergone.

But I thought I would share these lessons with you here on the blog. The principles contained in these lessons are true & learning them is part of what helped me change. But, it's hard to put everything into a single sentence. So as part of President Porter's challenge to me, I will expound on each lesson in its own blog post. Lucky you! You'll get to learn everything I learned in 18 months by simply reading a blog! ;)

Lessons Sister Guy Learned from Serving a Mission!

1- Figure out what's important to you & stick to it.

2- Happiness comes from the inside--it's a choice.

3- You can't convert anyone past your own conversion.

4- Christ will turn everything to our good if we are faithful.

5- People are different, but we all have an important purpose.

6- The gospel of Jesus Christ is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, & enduring to the end.

7- We have to be willing to sacrifice everything.

8- The law of the harvest--you reap what you sow.

9- The Lord is sifting the world. Expect opposition.

10- Don't expect perfection.

11- Identify your weaknesses & trust the Lord's grace to fortify them.

12- Satan's tactics never change.

13- People can change.

14- The Atonement & the gospel of Jesus Christ are meant for ME.

15- Relationships are the most important thing in this life.

16- Communication is key to happy, functional relationships.

17- Treat others the way you'd want to be treated, even if they don't do the same.

18- Some of our greatest joys come as we help others succeed.

19- God answers heartfelt prayers.

20- Growth happens outside our comfort zone.

21- True confidence, beauty, & happiness come through living the gospel of Jesus Christ.

So, there you have it! I'm excited to get to share these lessons with you all through this blog & hope you will find things to help you in your own life & the challenges you may be facing. My best advice & greatest lesson of all is to turn to Christ. Trust Him & do what He's asked & things will all work out. :)

Until next time . . .


1 comment:

Ryan and Michelle said...

Well said. We're looking forward to reading more of your insights.

Giving Up

Hi all! It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. . . A long, long while actually. 8 months. Yikes! Life has been crazy. I'm in...