Saturday, November 21, 2009

My awesome, exciting, novel related adventures featuring Lisa Mangum and Brandon Mull!

Hey everybody! I'm not quite sure where to begin. These past two days have been some of the best of my life. I suppose I'll start with yesterday when I met Lisa Mangum . . .



This, my dear friends, is Lisa Mangum. As soon as I got home from work I was yelling to my family, "Let's go!" Then the whole time we were driving to Barnes and Noble I had to ask my dad, "What's the speed limit here? Go faster!" I was so excited to meet her.

So we got to Barnes and Noble at around 7:30 and there she was, sitting at the table. It looked like she had sold a lot of books already. There were only about five left and by the time I was done there, there was only 2 left. I'll let you do the math. :)

Lisa is so nice! I feel really bad for being kind of jerky about her in my blog up to this point. She totally deserves all the success she's gotten and I shouldn't have ever doubted that. Her book is awesome and you should all check it out!

So, it turns out that she actually recognized me from facebook and my blog. That's right. She read my blog (which is another reason why I feel so horrible about being a jerk to her. Sorry Lisa.). When I told her my name she asked me, "Did you just recently have the swine flu?". I was kind of taken aback but told her that yes, I had. Then she told me that she read my blog post. I guess her husband found it and forwarded it to her. But she was really sweet and didn't mention my rudeness. Instead she was great and we talked a bit about me and my budding writing career. When I told her I'd submitted something to Shadow Mountain she asked what the name of it was. She said that they'd recieved a couple submissions dealing with people who can control the elements, but thought she recognized it. Then she told me she would keep her eyes open for my next submission. So, like I said, she is so great and sweet and awesome. Go buy her book! Right now! :)





Then today, we met Brandon Mull. I went with my friend Ashley. She's my reading and singing and movie buddy. And then my mom and dad came along too, but we don't care about them as much (just kidding family! I love you!).
There was a pretty long line for Brandon, you know, since he's a rockstar and everything. My mom was nice and held our place in line while Ash and I went scouring the store, trying to find the fourth Fablehaven book. Apparently they'd sold out. Did I mention that we got there for him only like half an hour after he opened up shop? Yeah. That's how great he is.

While we waited in line Ash and I discussed what questions we were going to ask him. We had one main question: "How could he die like that? How was that possible? And is he really gone?" For those of you with no clue what I'm talking about, read Fablehaven and find out! For those of you who do have a clue what I'm talking about, yes. He really is dead and is not coming back. And Brandon said it was the only way he could think to do it. But then Brandon helped heal my heart a little bit by telling us that there is someone waiting for Kendra in book five. I guess I'll have to trust him.



Here's my mom with Brandon. She bought his newest book "Pingo" for her first grade class. It's such a cute book about a boy who's imaginary friend becomes his imaginary enemy. If you have little kids, you should definitely get this for them! I think it would be a great Christmas gift.

Speaking of Christmas, here's an idea. Get people books for Christmas! Like any other industry during these hard economic times, the publishing industry is having some problems. So buy books. Please? For me? :)

Okay, that's enoug guilt tripping for one blog. But let me just say that meeting these amazing writers and people has been one of the greatest things. They are both sweet and humble. Everytime I meet writers and get to speak with them I realize how much I want to be a part of this world. I want to work with these people and have fun with them. Writer's are the best.

So, have a great Thanksgiving and buy lots of books! :)







No comments:

Giving Up

Hi all! It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. . . A long, long while actually. 8 months. Yikes! Life has been crazy. I'm in...