Monday, May 29, 2017

Lessons From A Naughty First Grader

My sister Allison teaches first grade and this year she has quite a naughty class. Every day when she comes home from work I ask how it was and how naughty the kids were. Usually she has several stories to share that makes me shake my head in disbelief.

One student in particular--let's call him Jay--is very naughty, but also has his very sweet moments. Over the past year it's become apparent that Jay is kind-hearted, but he has trouble controlling himself.

The other day Allison told me something Jay had said. During the school year he had ripped up his journal and now that school is almost out, the other kids are getting to take their journals home. Seeing what he had missed out on by ripping up his journal,Jay told Allison, "I hope I don't rip up my journal next year in second grade."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes and said, "He hopes he doesn't rip up his journal? You're in charge of yourself, dude! Nobody's going to make you rip it up."

Well today I sat in church thinking about my week and feeling disappointed in myself. I've fallen back into some bad habits and felt really discouraged with the lack of progress in my life. Why do I keep doing this? I thought. Why can't I seem to change? I wish I could change.

Then Jay came to my mind and it clicked. I was thinking the exact same way he was and coming up with the same excuse. I keep hoping to change; hoping to overcome my bad habits; hoping to achieve my goals; etc. But what am I doing to make those changes happen? When temptation to fall back into old patterns come along, do I resist or do I give in? Do I take responsibility for my actions and learn from my mistakes or do I distance myself from responsibility by thinking, This is just how I am. I hope someday it will change.

I need to take more responsibility for myself and my actions (or inactions). I need to look in the mirror anytime I find myself thinking I hope this happens to me or, I hope someday I'll achieve this dream will come true and say, "You're in charge of yourself, dude!" If I really want to change my habits or if I really want something to happen in my life, I need to do my part to make it happen.

This week I'm going to make things happen to become the person I want to be and I hope this has somehow inspired you to try a little harder to be a little better too. Let's make this week great!

No comments:

Giving Up

Hi all! It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. . . A long, long while actually. 8 months. Yikes! Life has been crazy. I'm in...