Sunday, July 31, 2016

Quick & Easy Barbecue Cream Cheese Chicken Wrap-ups!

Every Sunday while I'm in church and I catch my mind wandering, it's always wandering to the same place--What am I going to make for dinner? As a single woman living alone, I get to make whatever I want without worrying about if other people will like it. If I have the ingredients and I think it sounds yummy, I'm going to try it.

I haven't always been this way. No, it's only been since living on my own that I've discovered how much I like to experiment with food. It also helped that I spent a good solid week at my internship just looking at cooking blogs. I know, it was a sweet gig.

But since my internship is coming to an end and I'll probably be moving back to home to Ogden soon, I need to start using up all the food I've acquired and I need to use it within the next couple weeks.

Today I thought about all the chicken breasts I had in the freezer. What can I make in with chicken tonight? I thought.

My go-to since living on my own is barbecue chicken. Thaw the chicken, grill it up in a sauce pan on the stove, put some barbecue sauce on it, and serve with a baked potato. Super easy! But this week I was lazy and didn't buy potatoes. I did, however, have Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough.

Ever since my mission, when a member of the church made this yummy dessert with cream cheese, strawberries, and crescent roll dough, I always make sure to have a can on hand. It's really simple to whip up a filling (for breakfast I do jam & cream cheese, for dessert I do chocolate sauce, chocolate chips, & cream cheese) and bake. But I'd never made a dinner filling.

Why not? I thought. So, I spent the rest of the church meeting planning what I'd make.

First, I filled a pot of water (enough to cover 2 chicken breasts) and put it on the stove. Next I added two frozen chicken breasts (because who has time for thawing?) and cranked up the heat. I figured they could thaw while the water warmed up. It took probably 40 minutes for them to cook all the way through, which was fine. I just watched Netflix at the kitchen counter while keeping my eye on the chicken.

When the chicken was cooked I took it out and shredded the breasts with a fork. Then I added my favorite barbecue sauce to the bowl (I love Sweet Baby Ray's Raspberry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce. Side story: I had never tried it, but the girl whose apartment I'm living in for the summer while she's away, had some in the fridge. So one day I tried it, and now I'm hooked. Don't worry, I bought her a new bottle and one for myself too. ;) Once the sauce and chicken were mixed I placed it in the fridge so the chicken could soak up some of that yummy raspberry chipotle flavor.

After a few hours, when I was starting to get hungry, I pulled out the chicken and put it in a sauce pan with a little more than half a block of cream cheese. As I was stirring it together, I started to get worried. Here's my disclaimer: I am not a professional or experienced chef by any means. But I am an avid watcher of Chopped, so I heard the judges voices in my head going, That's a rookie mistake, barbecue sauce and cream cheese. This will cost Chef Erin dearly at the chopping block.

But once the cream cheese was melted, I finally decided to try it. And can I just say . . . It was yummy! Sweet, but with a little kick thanks to the chipotle. Have you ever had jalepeno jam with cream cheese on a cracker? That's what this tasted like, but with chicken! Then I added salt and pepper (because, aren't you always supposed to add that? For flavor or whatever?) and set it aside.

After that it was just a matter of adding a generous helping of filling to each crescent roll, and then baking for 15 minutes at 350.


How delicious do those look! I just ate mine with a side of carrots, but you could pair it with chips, a salad, chocolate cake . . . You know, whatever.;) These are also great to eat on-the-go for a quick meal.


So, there ya go! Quick & Easy Barbecue Cream Cheese Chicken Wrap-ups! Thanks for indulging me & letting me try my hand at food blogging. XD Maybe I'll post more ideas in the future.

Barbecue Cream Cheese Chicken Wrap-ups Recipe

Ingredients
-2 Chicken Breasts
-1 pckg Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
-Barbecue Sauce of Your Choice (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Raspberry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce)
-1/2 pckg Cream Cheese
-Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Cook chicken breasts and shred.

2. Mix in 1 cup barbecue sauce until chicken is coated. Set aside in fridge to marinate a couple hours.

3. Place chicken mixture in sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add cream cheese.

4. When cream cheese is melted and chicken is hot, add salt & pepper to taste.

5. Follow crescent roll instructions for pre-heating oven.

6. Open crescent rolls & lay out on baking pan. Add heaping spoonful of chicken mixture to each roll, then carefully roll up. (P.S. The chicken doesn't have to be completely wrapped--it's okay if it sticks out the sides. Those pieces just get crispy and delicious.)

7. Cook wrap-ups in oven until golden brown.

8. Cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Giving Up

Hi all! It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. . . A long, long while actually. 8 months. Yikes! Life has been crazy. I'm in...